Southwest Counselling Services- Point Edward, ON
Position Type: Field Placement Internship
Southwest Counselling Services is a professional collective of qualified counsellors with a passion for helping individuals and families navigate their way through life’s difficulties and challenges. Our services include individual, couples and family counselling, trauma therapy, play therapy, sports performance consultation & community programming. Our team has a wide range of skills and expertise and we utilize various therapeutic modalities including; Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing (EMDR), Emotion Focused Therapy (EFT), Play Therapy, Gottman’s Method, Internal Family Systems, Ego State Therapy, Yoga and movement-based activities.
Southwest Counselling Services is striving to achieve a supportive, open, friendly and caring environment focused on quality service. Our team has regular clinical consultations, supervision from outside resources and ongoing education and training. MSW interns would benefit from regular supervision with their field placement supervisor as well as other members of the team. There will be opportunities to video tape sessions and review and grow clinical expertise, interventions and utilize different modalities. MSW interns would carry a small caseload of clients and would meet clients in-person and virtually throughout their placement.
Our ideal candidate would possess the following:
- Master of Social Work (MSW) Student: Preference for students in their final year
- Some experience in assessment and treatment planning
- Some experience and comfort in talking to clients about mental health, trauma, relationship issues, parenting and grief/loss
- Strong active listening skills, empathy and intuition
- A caring, calm and kind presence
- Experience in child protection is considered an asset
- Experience working in residential care settings (group homes) is considered an asset
- Experience and motivation to work with children is considered an asset
- Students who enjoy working with athletes and have some background in sports and/or high-performance activities is considered an asset
Please email Matt Barnes at email@example.com for inquiries and to send resumes. Thank you for your consideration and interest.